The GST laboratory is among the leading establishment in the country undertaking chemical, mineralogical, petrological analyses of mineral, soil, rock and water samples. It also provides services on environmental studies and mineral beneficiation tests.
GST Laboratory has developed a Quality Assurance System (QAS), which complies with the ISO/IEC 17025-General Requirements for the Competence of Testing and Calibration Laboratories.
Services offered include: sample preparation, fire assay and wet chemistry analysis. The chemical laboratory performs a wide range of determinations, which include:
- Major elements (SiO2, Al2O3, TiO2, P2O5, CaO, Fe2O3, K2O, MgO, MnO and Na2O.
- Base metals (Pb, Zn, Ni, Cu).
- Trace elements (Ag, As, CO, Cr, Cu, MO, Ni, Pb, Zn, Au, Hg).
- Precious metals (Au, Ag).
- Water analysis (both clean and waste) for various components such TDS, sulphates, conductivity, salinity, pH, turbidity, colour and cations are analysed in water colour.
- Pollutant elements (metals) such as: mercury, lead, zinc, cadmium, arsenic and selenium.
Petrophysical properties of rocks are essential for interpreting geophysical measurements and in assessing geochemical, mineralogy and geophysical constituents of rocks. The Geological Survey of Tanzania (GST) undertakes petrophysical measurements for determining petrophysical properties of rock and ore samples.
The following petrophysical measurements are undertaken:
- Magnetic susceptibility of rocks
- Remanent magnetization
- Q – ratio calculation.
- Rock density.
- Rock conductivity.
The Geological Survey of Tanzania (GST) has a petrophysical laboratory for measuring petrophysical properties of rock and ore samples. Petrophysical parameters can be used for quantification of geophysical interpretations and have also direct geological applications.
Petrophysical laboratory measurements include density, porosity, magnetic susceptibility and remanent magnetization and galvanic or inductive resistivity.
The GST laboratory equipment has been developed for rapid measurement of many samples with high accuracy. Measured data are currently stored in a database, and data analyses and summaries are available for scientific and commercial purposes.
The Mineralogy and petrology laboratory section is equipped with modern facilities for sample preparation, analyzing different minerals, rocks and identification of gemstones. The laboratory offers services on preparation of thin and polished sections, micropetrographic studies and gemological studies.
The laboratory offers services for rock cutting and polishing as per customer demand. The laboratory cuts and polishes specimens for dimension and decoration stones.
The minerals processing laboratory incorporates facilities for technology testing in mineral separation using magnetic, electrostatic, gravitational, froth flotation and gold cyanidation techniques. Upgrading tests on industrial minerals are also conducted.
- To conduct engineering geological studies and provide advice on land use planning, construction and mining industry.
In carrying out the above function, the laboratory is undertaking the following activities:
- Geotechnical Investigations for construction purposes.
- Rock mechanics analysis for construction and mining purposes.
- Slope stability analysis for geo-hazards studies.
- Laboratory material testing for soil and rock mechanics.
6.Determination of engineering properties of aggregates(Aggregate tests).
- XRF- EPSILONS
- XRF- MINIPAL 4
- AAS FITTED WITH GRAPHITE FURNANCE
- AAS- 50- ATOMIC ABSORBTION SPECTROMETER
- AAS- 55 B- ATOMIC ABSORBTION SPECTROMETER
- CS- ANALYSER
- SPECTRAPHOTOMETER- UV/VIS
- CENTRIFUGE- 5702
- CENTRIFUGE- 46933
- HEATING PANNEL
- HOT PLATE
- FURNANCE -3PCS
- PH METER- P90
- PH METER-
- HOT PLATE- CLIFTON
- MAGNETIC STRIAR - LABCON
- BALANCE -ADAM EQUIPMENT
- BALANCE -METTLER TOLEDO
- BALANCE - EGB -HT
- BALANCE -N61
- CUPPEL MAKER
- SAMPLE MIXIES - JURGENS
- SWINGING MILL WITH AGATE CONTENER (HERZOG)
- SAMPLE DRIER - INFRA RED
- SIEVE SHAKER
- JAWCRUSHER - BB2
- SWINGING MILL WITH AGATE CONTENER
- SAMPLE SPILINTER - RET SCH
- PRESSER - PITIT - DICKIE & STOCKL
- WATER BATH - DIGITAL ULTRASONIC BATH
- FURNANCE - MUFFLE
SAMPLE MIXER- J S 14 -M
PETROLOGY AND MINERALOGY EQUIPMENTS
- OPTIKA POLARIZING MICROSCOPE -2
- ZEIS AXIOLAB POLARIZING MICROSCOPE
- MEIJI TECHNO POLARIZING MICROSCOPE
- WILD M3C BINSCULAR MICROSCOPE
- SYNTEST IMMERSIONSCOPE
- SARTOPIUS HYDIOSCOPIC BALANCE
- POLANISCOPE (M4)
- REFRACTOMETER (GEMLED)
- JAMES SWIFT (GRAIN COUNTER)
- NORTON CLIPPER ROCK CUTTING MACHINE
- STRUE DISCOPLAN - TS GRINDING & CUTTING
- JEAN WIRTZ POLISHING MACHINE
- LOGITECH THIN SECTION CUT OH SAW
MINERAL PROCESSING LABORATORY EQUIPMENTS
- ROD/BALL MILL
- ORE FEEDER - (2)
- SHAKING TABLE
- HUMPHREY CONCENTRATE
- MUD PUMP
- H.M.S (HEAVY MEDIA SEPARATOR)
- TROMMELS CONCENTRATE
- BOWL GRINDER
- HYDRO CYCLONE
- MAGNETIC SEPARATOR (DRY) CONTINOUS
- OVEN/DIYER (2)
- ELECTROSTATIC SEPARATOR
- BALL MILL (BATCH)
- FLOTH FLOATATION CELL(3)
- CENTRIFUGAL CONCENTRATE
- PRESSURE FILTER
- PULP DENSITY BALANCE
- AVERY BEAM BALANCE
- POUND (LB) BALANCE
- SIEVE SHAKER - (3)
- JAW CRUSHER (2)
- ROLL CRUSHER
- DOUBLE DEEK VIBRATE SCREEN
- GRINDING MACHINE
- DRIL MACHINE
- UNDER GROUND FAN (2)