The Geological Survey of Finland (GTK) and the Geological Survey of Tanzania (GST) submitted a project proposal accompanied by a Project Document to the Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland (MFAF) in late 2014 for consideration. The cooperation project entitled "Mineral Resources Potential and Small Scale Mining in Nachingwea Area and a General Nation-Wide Geochemical Map of Tanzania" was approved by MFAF and the funding document signed by the Minister for International Cooperation on 08.05.2015 (Project Document 2014). The project includes four main components:
- Assessment of mineral resources potential and compiling a mineral potential block map covering the Nachingwea area in the Southern Agricultural Corridor.
- To produce a nationwide general geochemical map
- To assess the state of small scale mining in the target area in order to compile recommendations to improve their productivity and reduce health risks in the rural areas
- To develop GST's web site and information dissemination.
The project’s was concluded in March, 2017 and the products are:
- Lindi- Mtwara Geological Map
- Lindi- Mtwara Mineral Potential Map
- Countrywide Geochemical/pH Maps
Lindi Mtwara Mineral Potential Map 2017
Lindi Mtwara Geological Map 2017
Soil Samples pH with the Geology of Tanzania
Soil Samples pH with Soils of Tanzania