The current regional geological mapping programme is focused on more thematic, project oriented data capture, interpretation and product delivery aimed at maximum attraction to the stakeholders.
- Main focus to produce basic geo-data and information for mineral exploration, environmental studies and land use
- Standardization and regularly updating data to provide seamless national coverage at any desired scale.
- Mapping of mineral resource targets according to areas with high potential for investment.
Past mapping and publications
- Geological maps published at a scale of 1:250,000 as degree sheets (DS 17 Kahama, DS 18 Shinyanga, DS 29 Singida and DS 52 Dodoma). Coverage is 3% of the total 322 QDS divisions of the country
- Geological maps published at 1:125,000 scale with a coverage of 48% of the total QDS
Present mapping and publications
- GST is currently mapping and publishing geological maps at a scale of 1:100 000 with coverage of 29% of the total QDS and the maps are available in digital format (see index map )
- Geological maps integrate geophysical, geochemical and geological data LandSat images and DEM.
- Old geological maps are being updated and published by adding value through field checks and incorporating new information (geophysical, geochemical, LandSat images and mineral occurrences)