Strategic aims of geological mapping
The current regional geological mapping programme is focused on more thematic, project oriented data capture, interpretation and product delivery aimed at maximum attraction to the stakeholders.
- Main focus to produce basic geo-data and information for mineral exploration, environmental studies and land use
- Standardization and regularly updating data to provide seamless national coverage at any desired scale.
- Mapping of mineral resource targets according to areas with high potential for investment.
Past mapping and publications
- Geological maps published at a scale of 1:250,000 as degree sheets (DS 17 Kahama, DS 18 Shinyanga, DS 29 Singida and DS 52 Dodoma). Coverage is 3% of the total 322 QDS divisions of the country
- Geological maps published at 1:125,000 scale with a coverage of 48% of the total QDS
Present mapping and publications
- GST is currently mapping and publishing geological maps at a scale of 1:100 000 with coverage of 29% of the total QDS and the maps are available in digital format (see index map )
- Geological maps integrate geophysical, geochemical and geological data LandSat images and DEM.
- Old geological maps are being updated and published by adding value through field checks and incorporating new information (geophysical, geochemical, LandSat images and mineral occurrences)