Geochemical maps and data
Available maps and data include:
- Maps and raw data for Mpanda (QDS 153), Biharamulo (QDS 30, 44), Kahama (QDS 62 and 78), western part of Lake Victoria
- Raw data covering Tabora-Shinyanga area (QDS 48, 49, 63, 64, 65, 66, 79 and 80) and south western part of Tanzania (Rukwa-Kigoma-Mbeya areas).
|S/N||Surveyor||Date||Sample Medium||Elements Analysed||Comments|
|1||Diamond Exploration Company (Tanex||1992||Soil||All major elements and oxides ,Ni_ Cu Zn_ As Se Rb Sr Y Zr Nb Mo Sn Sb Te Ta, W, PB, Bi Th, U, Cr, V Co, Ba, Au, Pb||Sampling density of one sample per 1 km2 Area covered include QDS 48, 49. 50, 63, 64, 65, 66,79, 80 and 81.|
|2||UNDP||1975-77||Stream Sediments||Cu, Pb, Zn, Ni, Co, Cr||Area 19,020 km2 QDS 1,2,3,7,8,9,17,18,19,29,30,31. A total of 1938 stream sediment samples were collected at sampling density of one sample per 5 km2 in reconnaissance phase. Analysis by AAS. Digitised maps and CD-ROM in scale 1:300,000 are available.|
|3||Western Rift Exploration Co Ltd.||1956-60||Stream sediments and mbuga clays, Minus 80 mesh analysed. Heavy mineral samples from stream sediment||Cu, Zn, Pb, Ni||Area 87,000 km2. 90,000 samples. Detailed reconnaissance survey, samples at 0.8 km intervals on streams. Analysis by cold extraction (Cu, Zn) or perchloric acid extraction and colorimetry (Cu, Pb, Ni). Data available on hard copies|
|4||Geo-survey (GST-GTK||2003-2007||Stream sediments||Au, Ag, Pd, Te, Hg, Cu, Pb, Zn, Ni, Fe Mo, Sn, Bi, Sb, Y, Be, Nb, La, Co, V, Al, As, B, Ba, Ca, Cr, Fe, K, La, Li, Mg, Mn, Na, P, Pb, Rb, S, Sc, Sr, Th, Ti, U, V, Y, Zr and major elements.||Stream sediments sampling carried out by GTK and GST. Sampling density of one sample per 10 km2. Area covered include QDS 30, 44, 62, 78 and 153. The analytical methods XRF, Aqua regia with ICP-OES, GFAAS, AAS and CVAAS. Data and maps are available in digital form.|
|5||GST||2005 -2006||Stream sediments||Au, Ag, Hg, Cu, Pb, Zn, Ni, Fe, Mn, Co||Stream sediments sampling carried out by GST. Sampling density of one sample per 10 km2 in reconnaissance phase. Area covered include QDS 191, 192, 193, 172 and 173. Analytical methods AAS and CVAAS. Raw data are available.|
|6||Joint German-Tanzania Gold Project (BGR)||1988-91||Rocks, Stream sediments, Heavy minerals from stream sediments and Soil.||Rock samples: XRF (see text) and Au (fire assay). Stream sediments: Au (cyanide leach and AAS). Heavy minerals: Au (fire assay)Soil: Cyanide leach + AAS||Area: Siga Hills, Lake Victoria Goldfields (QDS 47, 62, 63). Analytical methods XRF and fire assay for gold. Digital data and had copy (reports) are available.|
Airborne geophysical maps and data
Low resolution airborne geophysical maps(index map)and data include:
- Country wide thematic magnetics analogue and digital maps at a scale of 1: 2,000,000
- Magnetic, radiometric ((Total count, Thorium, Uranium and Potasium) and VLF maps at a scale of 1:100,000 (covering each of the 322 QDS of Tanzania) and raw data.
- Magnetic and radiometric block maps at a scale of 1:500,000 for Kigoma-Mpanda and Rukwa areas
- Magnetic block map at a scale of 1:500,000 for Lake Victoria region
- Magnetic, VLF and radiometric (Total count, Thorium, Uranium and Potassium) raw data covering the entire country.
- Maps and raw data for Mpanda (QDS 153, 154 and 155), Musoma (parts of QDS 4, 5, 12 and 13), Biharamulo (QDS 30, 44 and western parts of QDS 31and 45) , Kahama (QDS 62 and 78) for (specifications of high resolution airborne geophysical data – link)and Siga-Mabale (parts of QDS 47 and 62).
- Raw data for areas West of Lake Victoria and Tabora.
- Airborne geophysical data from exploration and mining companies
The Mineral Occurrences map displays the spatial distribution over 1900 data entries that has been compiled from reports of past as well as present day mineral exploration and geological surveys in the country. The database contains valuable summary of known minerals found in Tanzania.
Available maps in digital and/or analogue:
- Degree Sheet (DS.) maps at a scale of a scale of 1:250,000
- Quarter Degree Sheet (QDS) maps at scale of 1:125,000
- Quarter Degree Sheet (QDS) maps at scale of 1:100,000
- Composite block maps at a scale 1:500,000 covering Lake Victoria, Kigoma-Mpanda and Rukwa areas
Detailed special maps of various scales from selected exploration/mining projects.
Country-wide thematic maps (including geological and mineral map of Tanzania, mineral occurrence map) .at a scale of 1: 2,000,000.